Looking to start your own independently-hosted blog, membership site, digital download store, or online course? You’ve come to the right place.
The three core tenets
Want to Own Your Platform? Follow these three pieces of advice:
- Run your platform from your own domain name
- Use freely-licensed open-source software wherever possible
- Build an email list and promote it relentlessly
Why does this matter? Read our core tenets page.
The technical aspects
When building on platforms like YouTube and Facebook, the technology and infrastructure is completely taken care of for you.
However, you can have the best of both worlds by owning your platform and outsourcing technical concerns to expert providers.
You can accomplish this by subscribing to two services:
- Managed WordPress hosting
- A WordPress maintenance service
This won’t be free, but it’s a small price to pay for the peace of mind that the technical stack of your website is in good hands, freeing you up to focus on what you do best: creating content.
Choose your path
Now that you have a WordPress site set up with technical concerns being taken care of on auto-pilot, what are you going to do with it?
First, you’re probably going to want a theme that matches the focus of your new independently-hosted website.
Next, you’re probably going to sell stuff. We have guides coming soon on:
- Selling access to premium content for recurring payments (like Netflix)
- Selling printed-on-demand apparel (hold no inventory, every sale is pure profit)
- Selling digital downloads (ebooks, photography, music, etc.)
- Selling online courses (with quizzes, student forums)
Have a question about any of this? #AskOYP.